Senior Art Director
Reports to: Creative Director
The Senior Art Director role is strategic in leading the design team and is responsible for working alongside the Creative Director/Associate Creative Director and Account Planner to set the tone for campaigns and help bring the client and the team’s creative visions to life. He/She should be highly skilled, thoughtful in their design approach, understand the mechanics of completing production tasks, and be comfortable in their own design decisions to present and discuss work with both internal teams and clients. The Senior Art Director manages outside graphic design talent as needed as well as resources within the agency, utilizes their highly skilled conceptualization skills to develop ideas, cultivates an integrated marketing approach to client business, and optimally utilizes teamwork with writers, designers, and other team members to obtain exceptional results.
The Senior Art Director has additional responsibilities in educating, training, mentoring and directing the graphic designers they work with to add efficiency to the department, remain knowledgeable and hands on in the work moving through the agency, and communicate to company leadership about emerging trends, while living up to the agency’s quality standards.
- Collaborate in the design, development and strategy of key elements for accounts within the agency
- Lead design team in achieving high quality work and greatest level of efficiency
- Collaborates in campaign concept creation
- Work with copywriters (creative director?) to develop and execute compelling copy
- Present layouts and storyboards to Creative Director
- Manage time effectively and with little direction to help projects stay on budget and on time
- Reports to internal teams about account challenges and present proposed solutions
- Is considerate of brands and business needs; proposes the best creative solutions even in time-sensitive moments
- Work collaboratively with account leadership and designers to deliver on client visions consistently
- Ensure quality by committing to internal processes and standards
- Stays current with the latest emerging design and technology trends to find ways to help move the agency work for clients and brands forward
- All other duties as needed
- Excellent aesthetic judgment
- Strong leadership skills to oversee the work of other artists
- Creativity and superb communication to develop products that meet clients’ needs
- Ability to prioritize work and manage deadlines
- Bachelor (4 year) degree is preferred.
- 5+ years design experience in an agency setting is required.
- If no degree is possessed, then 6–8 years related experience in agency setting is required.
- 2+ years of supervisory experience required.
- Must possess exceptional computer skills and be a strong conceptual thinker. Macintosh operating platform a must. PC knowledge a plus. Thorough knowledge of the following software applications is required, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, scanning software, Adobe Photoshop, and any widely utilized word processing application.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and provide marketable solutions in conceiving, developing, and producing tactics.