Lead Generation Tactics to Help You Grow BusinessDec 10, 2018
There are some things in life that you can never get enough of –– chocolate, cute puppies, vacation days….the list goes on.
But for businesses, there’s one endless supply that’s vital to success. Leads.
Every business needs a lead generation strategy, but it can be tough to know where to start. There’s so much noise out there advising on what to do, it can be a challenge to determine where to invest your efforts.
Don’t fret –– here are a few easy tactics you can leverage to conquer lead generation.
Referrals For Lead Generation
Even in the digital era, word-of-mouth is still the king of lead generation. And referrals are the holy grail of leads. If you’re not convinced, consider these statistics:
- 1 in 3 people come to a brand through a recommendation (Deloitte)
- A referred customer spends 13.2% more than a non-referred customer (Journal of Marketing)
- The lifetime value of a referred customer is 16% higher than a non-referred customer (Journal of Marketing)
Subscription-based businesses have mastered techniques of getting customer referrals, so now’s your chance to gather some inspiration for your own strategies.
“Refer a Friend” Email Campaign
83% of consumers are comfortable making a referral after a positive experience (Texas Tech University). Bearing this in mind, you should feel comfortable asking happy customers and colleagues for referrals. However, instead of just asking point-blank, it’s always a good idea to offer an incentive for your customers to refer their friends.
Book of the Month club is a subscription service that delivers books to its members every month. In order to secure more memberships, they offer free book credits to their current customers in exchange for a referral. So their current customers get a free book in exchange for providing leads to the business. Not a bad trade on either side.
Your website is another great avenue to capture referrals. To make it easy for your customers to refer leads, you should set up a form where they can quickly and simply pass information.
Stitch Fix is a clothing subscriptions service. Their website is very referral friendly. Here’s what makes the Stitch Fix site referral strategy stand out:
- Referral opportunities appear on several prominent pages on the site, so it’s easy for customers to find.
- They offer $25 off to the customer and the referred friend as well, so there’s an incentive for both parties.
- Their form is simple and short to fill out so it doesn’t deter potential referrals.
Direct Mail Campaigns To Drive Leads
Direct Mail might seem like a dinosaur of a marketing tactic, but direct mail campaigns have more success in today’s internet-saturated world than it might appear. (Also, have you seen Jurassic Park? Dinosaurs happen to be pretty cool). According to one study, 56% of consumers think print marketing is the most trustworthy of all marketing channels.
Before you get too excited, remember –– direct mail campaigns need to be done correctly. Otherwise, all that money and effort will end in the trash without a glance.
You’ll need to:
- Personalize your content. This is the number one rule for any marketing effort, but especially with print. Don’t waste your money and time on generic “one-size-fits-all” printed piece. Know your target market and send them compelling, relevant messages.
- Make an effort to stand out. Don’t blend in with a big pile of mail. Find a way to make your collateral stand out. Draw attention with clear, attractive images that highlight your brand. Craft a clear CTA and compelling copy to drive conversions.
- Think outside the box. It doesn’t have to just be a boring envelope or a dingy colored postcard. Be creative. Perhaps you could send an accordion folded brochure with die-cuts. Maybe you could send a package with a treat, gift card or another goodie to let your recipient know that you’re thinking about them.
Direct Mail + Digital Marketing = Leads
If you’re trying to decide between direct mail and digital, here’s some good news –– you don’t have to choose just one. You can still have your cake and eat it too. Here’s one idea on how to combine the two channels:
Step 1: Send your lead a personalized mailer.
Step 2: Drive your lead to visit your website by including your URL on the mailer piece. Make sure to include a strong CTA.
Step 3: Now that you’ve warmed up the lead, you can follow up with them and push them to a conversion.
*Pro Tip – You can use a helpful platform like Enthusem to help automate this process and include it in your marketing automation workflow strategy.
Social Media As A Lead Generation Power House
Social media has graduated from being the new kid on the block. Businesses recognize the power of social media for lead generation because it works.
- 71% of consumers who have had a good social media service experience with a brand are likely to recommend it to others. (Source)
- Compared to outbound marketing, social media has a 100% higher lead-to-close rate. (Source)
- Customers report spending 20% – 40% more money on brands that have interacted with them on social media. (Source)
Here are some ways to harness your brand’s lead generating power on social media.
It’s true what they say –– you get what you pay for. Organic social media isn’t always enough to generate leads anymore. Brands should invest in a robust Facebook advertising strategy. The average organic Facebook page post reaches eight percent of a page’s audience. Paid reach, by comparison, hits 26.8 percent of the total audience. (Source)
According to HubSpot, here’s what you need for a successful Facebook ad:
- Strong Visuals
- Enticing Value Proposition
- Clear, compelling CTA
Looking for some inspiration? Check out these examples of ads that you can emulate.
These ads are all visually interesting, relevant to their respective audiences, entice clicks with compelling value propositions and boast killer CTAs.
Go Forth and Market
These are just a few ideas to boost your lead generation efforts. Remember, whatever strategies you choose, keep your messaging relevant, keep your CTAs strong, and make sure your brand stands out from all the noise. If you keep these things in mind, the leads will come to you.